Friday, November 19, 2010

Craft Room: Part One

So, awhile back, I decided I was going to finally work on making my craft room look cohesive. I am in there A LOT, so i wanted to actually like the space! It all really started when my father in law mentioned that he was going to "call the salvation army to pick up some furniture from the basement."

Ummm, HOLD UP!

I went & checked out the "furniture" and pretty much claimed 90% of it for myself! ha! Thankfully, he is being patient & allowing me to work on the pieces of furniture as i have time & the first project was a desk (for the craft room). I had a desk in there (thanks to my friend, Theresa), but it was more of a computer desk & it didn't work anymore for my needs. So this desk I got from Dwight was a perfect desk to sit my sewing machine on, and use the drawers to hold sewing notions & what not. I didn't take a before picture, but i really should have because it was an older wooden desk with old brass knobs (you can probably visualize!). I primed it, painted it black, & then distressed the edges & glazed it with a smoke glaze. Then i switched out the knobs with some brushed nickel ones & voila!After I got the desk in there, i decided to work on making my curtains a little cuter. I had some green pottery barn kids curtains hanging in there that i originally bought off Craigslist right before we moved. I thought they would match in one of the boys bedroom or in the playroom, but i ended up disliking the color in those rooms. So, i hung them in my craft room/ office. They were just plain old green, so they didn't have too much character. Soooo, i added some black & white polka dot fabric to the bottom of them to match my "green/black/white" theme in there. Yay! I LOVE them!This technique was so easy that i have decided to do this in my living room to my red curtains. I just have to find some more yardage of the fabric i have to match the living room. JoAnns is currently out! Bummer!


Next up: the project table Randy built me for my birthday. I needed some more table space in the craft room so i requested this table from ana-white.com (formerly knock off wood, where we got the free plans for the Lego table & the bed!)
It still has to be sanded and painted, but once it is, it will be a perfect addition to the room! It will hold baskets underneath on the riser shelves too! Can't wait!

No comments: