Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Couch to What?

Couch to What? Couch to 5k.

That's right. I am doing it. I am pushing through & have decided that I can't keep being lazy.

I tried counting calories from the day after Christmas through March, and after plateauing at 12lbs lost, the scale just wasn't moving. I was getting frustrated. I was hungry, tired of constantly worrying about the calories and the scale wasn't rewarding me anymore. So, I quit worrying with the calories.

Rebecca has been trying to get me to try running since the fall. Running just isn't my thing. I want to be a person who CRAVES a good run, but in reality, it just doesn't appeal to me. Sounds like something I'd rather not do, really.

But then she showed me a video of her next 5k that she wants to run...

 After watching that, who wouldn't want to get up & go? I knew I needed to get active. Not for weight loss, because really, I am okay with where I am now. But more for toning & becoming physically fit. Let's tighten things up a bit, shall we?

So, 5 weeks ago, I got out & "ran" with Rebecca on a Friday afternoon. It was literally in the 90s outside. WHAT.was.I.thinking?
 
We had no real plan, just got out there & ran. And I about vomited from the heat. If you know me, then you know the feeling of nausea is like cryptonite to me. That was NOT going to happen again. I was incredibly sore. Proud of myself for going out  there & giving it a go, but very sore.
 I thought it over throughout the weekend & knew that if I was going to start running, then I needed a game plan. I downloaded the Couch25K app on my phone, got busy working on a running music playlist & by Monday, I hit the pavement for day 1 of the new plan.
Interval training.
 No more of this  get-out-there-&-see-how-far-you-can-go-before-you-die.
 I started slow & worked through my weeks.

I am now finishing up week 5 & am officially over the halfway mark! By the end of this week, I will be running for 2 miles (or 20 straight minutes) for the first time. We'll see how it goes!
 

I sure hope this color run is worth it! :) It's the "happiest 5K on the planet" and it's gonna need to be!!



No comments: