Wednesday, June 6, 2012

I really want a green thumb

This spring, money was (& still is, honestly) really tight. We were on a strict "no extras" budget because my work caseload was very low. I really get the itch to plant in the spring though. I can't help myself. We had NO money for it, but I had saved a little card that my in-laws had given me after I helped plan our niece's wedding back in February. In this little card, was a little stash of money.  What better way to use it than to plant a garden & put some new bushes and things in the yard. 
Off to Lowes I went & came home with plenty to keep me busy!

 I planted a few herbs on the back deck... some "boxwood basil"
 Some sweet mint... mmmm (I've used this one the most!)
 And some cilantro...
 I also planted 2 blueberry bushes in the backyard. I hope in a few years to have enough blueberries to keep Eli happy. He could eat them all day!

 In the garden boxes, we put bell pepper,
 cucumbers,
 and several varieties of tomatoes.
 We also planted squash & zuchinni, but for the 3rd year in a row... this is as good as it gets.

 I don't know what I am doing wrong, but I have already decided that next year, I am planting them in a different spot. Maybe on the other side of the back yard or in the side yard. 

We have already gotten 1 little cucumber off our plant and a few more on their way. And we have have a few cherry tomatoes that are almost ready! 
 
Eli and Jackson LOVE going out & checking on the garden. Eli especially asks about it everyday.
He walks the yard & checks to see if anything else is in bloom. We have watched our new daylilly plants like a hawk waiting for a bloom!
 
And he likes to go around naming all the different bulbs... (honestly he helps ME remember!) We now have an iris growing...
 
And a tiger lilly...
 

And we also have a new wax myrtle and 2 knockout rose bushes (for mothers day!), 2 wigelia, and 4 azaleas.  It is so exciting to see things begin to bloom & flourish!






No comments: