In recent months, the drama has been building at the Moss house. I guess it mainly has to do with Eli's age & the fact that Jackson is tired & grumpy from school. But man, it has been rough. My attitude has been diminishing as a result & i could hear myself becoming the kind of parent that i don't want to be. All i heard was negativity from myself to the kids & as a result they were giving me negativity back. It was a vicious cycle. And it was one i knew i needed to break.
So, out of the horrible, no good, lousy day, a new behavior chart was born! We had been using a stop light system. The kids have a stoplight on the fridge with name labeled clothes pins attached. If they were doing well, they stayed on green. If they needed a warning, onto yellow they went. If they went to red, then there was a consequence of some sort. There were two problems, however.... 1) again- this only promoted the negative consequence and 2)they were policing EACH other & moving each other's pins around (plus all i was hearing was "i'm on green & you are still on yellow! **invision a tongue sticking out because the tone suggested that he might as well have his tongue out!**) I had been talking to my friend Meredith about this some because she has been using a great system to teach her kids bible verses. I wanted to use bible verses to show the kids how they needed to behave, not because "i am the mean mommy." - which yes, i have been called in recent months, more than once- but because this is how God wants us to live & it pleases Him. So Friday night, i made these and posted them to the pantry door Saturday morning for a fresh start!
I explained to the kids that each night we were going to place stickers on our charts for each behavior & with the behavior, we would recite our verse which tells us WHY we behave in the good ways that we should. Day one, was a success overall.... but by day two, we are already doing a little worse..... but that's okay! There's always tomorrow to start fresh. Here is Jackson's chart....
And as a side note. I have kept the stop light to use with this system as well. It gives them warning when they are about to lose an opportunity at a sticker on the chart. And it keeps me accountable to that as well.
If you are curious, here are the behaviors & verses on the chart (Most of them the kids can already recite some or all of just after 2 days!) When i ask them each night "Were you a helper today?" They will answer me & then I will ask them, "Why should you be a helper?" And this prompts them for the memory verse of "Even a child is known by his deeds." So that is an example of how we are using it. Here 's the whole list of them from our chart:
* I was a helper. (Even a child is known by his deeds Prov. 20:11)
*I used kind words (A soft answer turns away wrath. Prov 15:1)
*I shared with others (Honor one another above yourselves Rom 12:10)
*I did not interrupt others (i am still looking for a verse for this one- probably something on respect!)
* I treated others with love & kindness (Love your neighbor as yourself. Matt 22:39)
* I obeyed the first time (Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord. Col. 3:20)
*I controlled my temper (Do everything without complaining or disputing. Phil 2:14)
* I cleaned up my own mess. (Do all things decently & in order. 1 Cor 14:40)
*I ate my dinner with thankfulness. (Unto thee, oh God, do we give thanks. Ps. 75:1)
No comments:
Post a Comment