About 6-9 months ago, I read a book called Crazy Love, by Frances Chan.

It was life changing.
It made me look at my life- living for Christ in a completely different way.
It was humbling.
It was uncomfortable.
It was convicting.
It took me out of my comfort zone.
It made me realize just how selfish I really was. And it made me see that there was more to life than this pretty little "American Dream". What is that, really, anyway? What is the point? HE wants more from us. Who cares about a cush house to live in & a pretty little savings account? God wants us to strive for more (or depending on how you look at it- less). He wants service, devotion, and love. Not just for Him, but for others that are less fortunate. He wants us to show HIS love through our love of others & less love of ourselves. THAT is tough cookie to swallow.
I have been wanting to read another book called Radical by David Platt that I knew was along the same lines or at least a good complement to Crazy Love & then I stumbled upon this blog post tonight while reading through some blogs i follow. It was like I was led there for a reason. I have been struggling with the same questions and trying to see the picture that God has in store for my life & not the picture I have in store for my life. That's an even tougher cookie to swallow.
Take a moment to read Patrice's post. I promise you won't regret it.
I have been trying to make baby steps into getting out of my comfort zone. Taking the kids with me to buy a cold drink & a snack & take it to a homeless man on the corner... you know.. things like that. But really, I know I can do more. The challenge is now to decide what.?? I know God has more things in store for me if I will just open my heart & listen!
Next up on my reading list....

Anyone have a copy to loan? :)

1 comment:
good for you for stepping out! my small step after reading her blog and the book one thousand gifts was to start tutoring inner city kids once a week at our church on monday evenings...even though its hard w/ the kids, dinner, gym, dance schedules, etc, i know i'm called to do more. we took on yet another kid across the globe to sponser as well. step by step we can make a differnce, living radically!
Post a Comment